Friday 8 February 2013

An eclectic literary childhood!


I sometimes ponder as to what kind of a person I would have been had I not been such a reading addict since childhood. Its not a very pretty picture, believe me. I am one of those people who believe that you are what you read, one of those people who like the smell of fresh crisp pages of a new book and the rustic one of an old book, one of those who’d prefer reading a novel over watching a movie any day.





A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. Indeed.
I think the moment I was out of the “toddlerism”, I was into books! It all started with the Snow White, Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel stories and continued to the Alice in wonderland and Pinocchio and Noddy ones. I could never get enough of them. I devoured them.
Enid Blyton was my savior in my early school days. She was my God back then. Whilst all the kids around were watching cartoons, my nose would be deep in The Famous Five and Secret Seven books. Their adventures took me to another dreamy land of my own. On getting back from school and inquiring mum about the lunch, I would expect mom to give me fancy names like jam tarts, ham, sardine sandwiches and ginger beer, and would be disappointed to get the regular stuff.
Then entered Mademoiselle Nancy Drew. Oh boy! She and her mustang and her mysteries would send me spiraling to another world altogether. I have sweet memories with Sweet Valley High and Chicken soup too. Then came the hostel life phase. Malory Towers, St. Clare’s, The naughtiest girl series. I had read them one and all. R.L Stine's novels and Hardy boys I would finish on an hourly basis and switch to the next. Life was on a roll. I didn't need anything but my books. My ultimate dream would be to make a huge walk in library of my own.
When teenage hit me, I was happily consuming Agatha Christie, Sidney Sheldon, Robin Cook, Danielle Steele, Ayn Rand and Harry Potter books. Nicholas Sparks and Cecilia Ahern books would trigger the romantic side i never knew existed in me.
Now when I think of all the books I grew up with I get nostalgic. I also realize what an indiscriminate and voracious reader I was back then. Unfortunately, now I am more picky about what I read. The reviews have to be nice, the author has to be good. I have read some great novels the picky way but i still wish i had the capacity to read indiscriminately even now.


I remember when exams approached us, mom would lock our mini library but my sister and i just couldn't be stopped. We would manage to steal a book or two from elsewhere. We’d sit in the bathroom for hours on the pretext of shitting and bathing while we were actually reading the book! At night, we would lie down on the floor and read in the tail light so that mom wouldn't notice we were up!





“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green
Its like this man entered my thoughts and spoke for me! When i read a novel, i am oblivious of everything around me. I’m walking in a haze, mesmerized and spellbound, looking at everything through a different prism.
I actually feel sad for those who don’t read. They don’t know what they are missing out on. When you read you can make your imagination fly!
All in all, i think i would've been a completely different personality if it were not for all the books that i have read.I can’t possibly be eloquent about how much I love reading, so I’ll just stop here.




15 comments:

  1. you are what you read...truly so....reading moulds our thoughts and our thoughts mould us :)
    first time in ur blog...liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are what you read...truly so....reading moulds our thoughts and our thoughts mould us :)
    first time in ur blog...liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kind of profound reading and sagacious writing intellect with perfect blend of stalwart soul you have, makes me remember a very famous quote bit modified though- "wandering about in a great library without touching the books is just like living in the world without becoming aware of the meaning of the world"

    KEEP IT UP GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading lets you into the world of its own, where everybody is welcome. Its different for everybody, depending on what you read.
    When someone tells me that they dont like reading, Im like o.O
    Seriously!? o.O
    Yeah, I know everybody's different, but since the time I could read, books have been there for me. Bestfriends,eh!
    Anyway, pretty blog! ;)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, now following ya!

    ps:I really liked the naughtiest girl series, too :P
    xx
    Hopelessly Hopeful
    http://hopeihadasuperexcitingsecretlife.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God! Its like I just met my twin! From Enid Blyton to Nancy Drew to sweet valley & St clares.. It was like as though I was reading my reading adventures!!**Hugs** to my dear girl :)
    Keep reading and enjoy the magical world of books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This was a really great post :)
    There's nothing in the world like reading... If I had a choice, I'd be living in a library :P
    And I totally agree with you. Those non-readers are missing sooooo much o.O

    Hi 5 novel junkie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading books never was my favourite hobby though i have read manyyy...but reading blogs actually is my favourite hobby and addiction.
    Shidney sheldon is among my favourite writers..:)
    keep reading and keep writing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just love the picture...!!grt post

    please follow : http://chasingpave.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a big big bookworm in childhood, still am...and blesses to be married to another..one has to just come to our home to see the incredible book collection me and the husband have collected between us!!


    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow... Same story here. The only difference? I am still a very non-discriminating reader. Unless I read at least one book of an author I won't make up my mind. Also I rarely read the reviews for the opinion on the books. What I do is, I read the synopsis and then read it myself. Then I make up my mind.

    I loved ALL the books that you mentioned. But probably have outgrown some. It is hilarious that I haven't outgrown Hardy Boys, Famous Five etc but have outgrown Danielle Steele. :)

    You have got one more follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post just made me remember my days with books....I completely agree with the part where you have mentioned "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies". I can't agree with you less.
    When everything turns blue, nothing is more soothing then opening my favourite book and getting lost among the pages...That feeling is heaven on earth.
    Love
    Girl with the Quixote Curse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I do a same pinch on ur thoughts shared :)

    Books over movies! anytime.
    I do experiment with my reading but a good story is always welcome to capture me.


    Love <3
    Tanuja :)
    -------
    http://tanujasethi.blogspot.in/2013/02/somethings-shopped.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so so so connect with this, you have no idea. Just some days back I was thinking if there are other people like me who have literally lived on books! I am so glad to have found you :)

    The order in which I have followed my reading pursuits have been the same. I still sometimes nose into an Enid Blyton, and smile as the old musty pages transport me to Kirrin Island with plenty of Ham and hard-boiled eggs in the picnic basket!

    Love,
    Shubhi's Revels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see all of you can relate with this post at some level. Glad. Really glad. =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read your post on Crash and Burn and followed you here...lovely blog you have...
    P.S.- Am you're 43rd follower :)

    Love,
    Dreams n Drama

    ReplyDelete